All Mortal Flesh: A Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery (Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries) - Julia Spencer-Fleming

This is book five in this crime series about a woman priest and the Chief of Police of a small town of Millers Kill in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. The two of them keep being thrown together as they try to sort out various violent deaths in the town.

Book by book, the attraction between them has grown, fed partly by denial and mostly by a common urge to act and to protect.

BUT

...the Police Chief is married. To a very nice, very attractive woman (it annoys me a little that it matters whether she's attractive - it shouldn't pile on the angst - she's his wife - that should be enough) that he dragged to this small town when he retired from the Army and whom he has not been able to have children with. And who he still loves.

...the Priest is deeply committed to her faith and her parish and knows that she can't honour those things AND keep feeding her attraction to the Police Chief.

By the violent and traumatic end of book four, both of them have realised that, although they haven't had sex, they have had an affair in their hearts, with all the betrayals that that involves.

I'd wondered how the fifth book would cope with this. I had expected another mystery during which the two of them would go through the slow torture of deciding what to do, even though there are no good choices but Julia Spencer-Fleming is braver than me and she's given the fifth book an explosive start:

The book opens with the Priest having gone on a week's retreat, during which she's reached a conclusion and now expects never to see the Police Chief again. THEN I find that the Police Chief's wife has thrown him out and shared the reasons with her best friend. THEN her best friend finds the Police Chief's wife murdered.

(show spoiler)

And I'm only 5% in to the book!

I'll be back for me tomorrow.