Space Opera - Catherynne M. Valente

This book is starting to consume me. The more I read the more I need to read.

I started off thinking Douglas Adams on speed but now I'm thinking Terry Pratchett minus the benign optimism.

Three things stuck with me most in the last few chapters:

THE TEST OF SENTIENCE

Anyone who enjoys this kind of book is going to cheer at this ulitmate test because they'll ace it:

"Are you kind enough, on your little planet, not to shut that rhythm down? Not to crush underfoot the singers of songs and tellers of tales and wearers of silk? Because it’s monsters who do that. Who extinguish art. Who burn books. Who ban music. Who yell at anyone with ears to turn off that racket. Who cannot see outside themselves clearly enough to sing their truth to the heavens. Do you have enough goodness in your world to let the music play?
Do you have soul?"

PLAYING WHICH BAND MEMBER DO I WANT TO BE

Here's how the band members are described:

"Decibel Jones always lived in the moment; Omar Calis»ôkan always lived in an uncertain future. Mira, he supposed, had always lived in her own head and allowed others to visit once in a while. With advance notice. And extensive decontamination protocols."

I could never be Decibel Jones and I'm thankful for that. I want to be Mira and used to think I was but these days I'm worried that I'm becoming Omar.

DJ BOBO

DJ Bobo is one of the dominant figures of the music scene here in Switzerland. There's only 8 million people here, a quarter of them are foreigners and only half of what's left speak the same language so being famous in Switzerland is not like being famous in the UK. Still, I like the guy, so I was pleased to see that Chapter 14, "Vampires Are Alive" is named after his most famous stage show.