Today is International Women's Day so I thought I'd take a look around and see how women writers are being celebrated.

I've never paid much attention to the gender of the writer I'm reading. At least, that's what I told myself. Then some of the folks here started to produce stats on their reading including the gender of the writers. I decided to run the same stats myself and discovered that I have a strong bias towards reading books written by women. Of the twenty-five writers I've read so far this year, twenty of them are women. So I'd like to start by celebrating them and the pleasure they've given me.

Women writers I've read so far this year

Starting from the top right they are:

Cassie Stocks, Rachel Caine, Tanya Huff, Nnede Okorafor, Andrea Penrose,
C E Murphy, Stephanie Butland, Patricia Briggs, Susan Wilson, Janet Evanovich,
Brittany Cavallaro; Anne Holt, Jane Harper, Karen Cleveland, C J Tudor,
Danielle McLoughlin, Sandra Brown, Melissa F Olson, Elizabeth Hand, Elizabeth Strout.

The roll call of talented women writers is much longer than this of course. You can find sixteen more on the longlist for the TheWomen's Prize For Fiction 2018

fVkqalD_De9Mi7-OJLyvFexyDrSE_7za13frhRD0nXdwvzTIJQdHqFGksiIHwNyUmbfP41X7V2AJ0Y_fDhyvpMuq4KuUUODCLVhXgTofHZZcozyhnw=s0-d-e1-ft

The only one I've already read is "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman.

My TBR pile already includes:
The Idiot by Elif Batuman
Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward

If the rest of the list is up to a similar standard, I'll be a very happy reader.

Waterstones have put some lists of Women Writers together that you might find interesting. Click on the image below to see what they've suggested.

uCXwYKnBKosdm4_5vXBR5VspamGaAfdFYfuTwAJMHI79lkW_gFLI5P3BHLj8nEtThjm-53EBdX_dtIhJyGtTF2NpaHsa02jmnB-PQlgiaFoJkwNpZw=s0-d-e1-ft

The poem that calls to me most on International Woman's Day in Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman". I hope it speaks to you too.

Phenomenal Woman.001You can listen to Maya Angelou read "Phenomenal Woman" on the YouTube link below

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeFfhH83_RE?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0&w=560&h=315]