The Enchantment Emporium - Tanya Huff

I was hungry for more Tanya Huff, so I picked up "The Enchantment Emporium" despite the fact that the title sounded too twee for my normal reading tastes. It suggested, to my jaded ears, some kind of teen witch / Charmed kind of thing, but I reminded myself that Tanya Huff is a talented trope-twister and I bought it anyway.

Then I sent it back. The narrator on the audiobook version was American rather than Canadian and her voice just jarred with the text for me.

Now I'm about 10% through the book - all the way to Chapter Two in fact - and I'm grinning.

This is going to be fun.

The Gale family is not human, not exactly. The Gale's are a matriarchy, with women outnumbering men five to one. Only men with enough wild in them are of interest to the Gale women.

I got dropped into the middle of a massive family gathering and had great fun trying to put the pieces together and understand who was who and what it all meant.

There's nothing twee here. There's lots of wit, a little bit of sexual sizzle, a lot of backstory to discover, an emerging threat and an engaging main character, who, like me, is trying to work it all out.

AND this is the first in a series.

Wonderful.